- Rather than launch a craft beer and settle for a fraction of the category, Legends Premium Lager takes aim at the category leaders, looking to beat the category leaders at their own game — or at least steal some of the glory for their own. Legendary sports figures grace the labels, lending power and presence to the presentation. The aluminum bottle is perfect for sports arenas where glass is prohibited, delivering the brand to passionate fans at the height of the sporting experience.
BRAND IDENTITY, PACKAGING, PHOTO-ILLUSTRATIONS, BRANDED PRODUCTS, RETAIL CONSULTING
- Building a brand from scratch offers the unique opportunity to create the “world” of the brand, the peripheral stage dressing that surrounds a brand with meaning, and the context in which it is most often experienced. The new Legends website lends mystery and majesty to the sporting life — both for those who live it and those who simply love it. The site enrolls users by prompting them to nominate their heroes for the next Legends label and sells brand wear for the ultimate in participation.
- The deeper one presses into the brand story, the more there is to tell, from the formulation of the beer itself, to the aluminum bottle that helps keep it safe from light and breakage, and into the biographies of the athletes and the stats that make them legendary. Users can sign-up for party invites, find out where to buy product, and even follow the brand on Facebook. Colorful imagery is used sparingly throughout, just enough to whet the appetite — and set a person on the quest to quaff a Legends for themself.
- Wheeling a case of Legends into the pub is a major league event. Initially, we had planned to ship in trays, but there was concern about retailers preferring particular athletes, which might create inventory and stocking issues. Our solution was to ship in closed cases and build some suspense around the “latest mix” of labels. Eventually, Legends will sell single-label cases into particular markets, but for the moment, retailers love the shipper and are using it to form in-aisle single stack displays.
- A big part of building a new brand is taking the news to the streets and growing a base of true believers, long before promotions and advertising are needed. That grassroots effort is smartly paired here with the mundane chore of product delivery, making every touchpoint with retailers and consumers a major event, and helping to showcase the product on the local level. And when promotions begin in full, a fleet of Sprinters will be central to delivering excitement.
- Looking into the future, Legends’ unbreakable aluminum bottles could find easy acceptance in sports arenas where glass bottles pose a hazard. While it’s unlikely you will hear of a “Legends Stadium” anytime soon, advertising is a large part of the landscape at all major sports venues. As demonstrated here, the Legends brand assets are a perfect fit for the tight squeeze of sideline advertising, and our message is a perfect fit too, wherever fans gather to cheer their team to victory.