- When the energy drink category began to rage, Hansen Beverages enlisted McLean Design to take on the dominant Red Bull brand. We conceptualized, positioned, named, and designed Monster Energy as an iconic counter-culture personality, defined by the consumer’s most aggressive self-image. Monster immediately achieved #2 in the category and within the decade has become a billion-dollar brand.
STRATEGY, NAMING, BRAND IDENTITY, PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR EXTENSIONS
- Java Monster is a coffee-based “parallel brand” of the successful Monster Energy brand, the first appearance of an energy brand outside the category, beating Red Bull Cola by more than a year, and the first serious competitor to Starbucks’ Frappuccino milk-bottle RTD. Java Monster’s original three flavors sold $100-million during its initial debut and has gained serious momentum on the national stage.
STRATEGY, BRAND IDENTITY EXTENSION, PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR SYSTEM
- Java Monster’s early success proved a growing interest in coffee-flavored energy drinks — spiked with Monster Energy but without the downside of booze. A serious remix of Monster equities and the addition of illustrative elements to frame the brand, helped drive home the peculiar blend of coffee, energy, and cultural references that flavor these blends. Reception in retail was immediate and is gaining a strong following among consumers.
PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR SYSTEM
- Almost a decade after proposing a slushee-style Monster — perfect for the convenience store crowd — McLean Design finally was able to realize its chilling vision with Monster Black Ice, a 7-11/Slurpee seasonal promotion. After seeing the Monster slash-mark carved from ice (thanks to illustrator Matt Holmes), the Slurpee-Monster partnership went the distance with a solid-black formula, black metal straws, and a slash-embossed lid.
BRAND EXTENSION, PACKAGING DESIGN, ART DIRECTION
- Taking advantage of the newest twist in beverage technology, Monster created a nitrous-infused formula in a sleek 12 oz resealable can, blending new beverage tech with the newest in packaging tech. The challenge was to create a new expectation that would visually communicate a point of difference within the expanding Monster universe, but still deliver the sinister character that encapsulates the Monster experience.
BRAND EXTENSION, PACKAGING DESIGN, FLAVOR SYSTEM